R. Douglas Myers, R.A.
Senior Project Consultant
Doug has nearly 30 years of experience in project management and architecture, including project creation; programming and planning; development and review of schematic, design development and construction documents; value engineering and constructability review; construction management; owner occupancy; and project close-out. Having served as owner, project architect and construction manager gives him the knowledge and experience to understand the specific needs of key parties on each project to provide successful leadership.
Doug has successfully managed several major K-12 building programs keeping the projects on schedule and optimizing clients funding while meeting their programming needs. He keeps the Superintendents, Treasurers, Boards and AHJ’s well informed and knowledgeable of current project issues and status in order to give timely direction to the project teams.
Doug manages the Thompson Hine Office test fits and renovations. These have included the main office in Cleveland as well as offices in Washington D.C., Columbus, Cincinnati, Chicago and New York.
Doug also has extensive experience in higher education design and construction. Prior to joining PMC, he was the director of Planning, Design and Construction at Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C). His experience includes working at the University Architect’s Office at Cleveland State University and at several local, national and international architecture firms prior to his nine-year tenure at Tri-C.
- As Senior Project Consultant, Doug has worked directly with Superintendents and Directors of Business and Operations to proactively manage projects as an extension of their office. He uses his past experiences as an Architect, Owner and Construction Manager Director to ensure projects are executed to exceed client’s expectations. He understands the importance of clear communications to gain the client’s trust and confidence to empower his leadership of large project teams on complicated building programs.
- As Senior Project Consultant, Doug works directly with Thompson Hine’s Chief of Facilities and Operations to review leases, investigate possible office locations and manage the design and construction of office renovations. He understands that each Partner is financially vested in the projects and strives to meet their expectations of excellence in design and construction.
- As Director of Project Management at Tri-C, Doug was responsible for overseeing the program management team, construction managers, architects, commissioning agents and testing agents as well as the management of fixtures, furnishings and equipment (FF&E), owner occupancy, prevailing wages and major project and legal issues. Doug led the program management team during bidding/award and construction of Tri-C’s over $200 million phase one master plan execution, which included 6 buildings and multiple miscellaneous projects.
- Doug has designed or managed projects totaling more than $700 million under various delivery methods, including general contracting, multiple-prime, construction management (agency) and construction management-at-risk (CMR). Project types have varied from minor renovations and deferred maintenance projects to campus master plans and major K-12 District building programs. While at Tri-C, Doug managed the college’s first CMR and LEED-certified projects.
Relevant Project Experience
Warrensville Heights City School District Building Program:
- Segment 1 – New PK-5 Elementary School
2-story, 117,000-square-foot building consisting of 21 classrooms, music, art, gym, student dining, kitchen. Building was designed with 21st century learning and extending learning pods for each grade surrounded by individual classrooms. Total funds were $33,774,000. Project completed $1,500,000 under budget.
- Segment 2 – New M.S./H.S. with locally funded initiatives
2-story M.S., 3-story H.S. with a total area of 231,765 square feet. Project includes constructing the new building while maintaining occupancy in the existing high school. Design included 21st century learning and linking the M.S. and H.S. while minimizing student level interaction. Program also includes demolition of 5 buildings, design and construction of a new athletic complex and bus maintenance facility. Total funds for this segment are $76,595,560.
Cleveland Heights University Heights School District Building Program
- Segment 1 – High School Renovation and Addition
3-story $101,650,000 project including football stadium, natatorium, auditorium and ball fields.
- Segment 2 – Renovated Middle Schools and enabling projects
Project included renovation of Roxboro and Monticello Middle Schools as well as developing temporary rented classrooms for the duration of the project. Funds were $57,400,000 for this portion of the program. Segment 1 came in over budget; however, adjustments were made and the total program was managed $3 million under budget
Thompson Hine Office Renovations
- Cleveland Office Renovation
- Washington D.C. Office Renovation
- Columbus Office Renovation
- Cincinnati Office Renovation
- Chicago Office Renovation
- New York Office fit out investigation
Relevant Project Experience (previous organizations)
Cuyahoga Community College – As Director and/or Project Manager:
- Advanced Technology Training Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Brunswick University Center, Brunswick, Ohio
- Center for Creative Arts, Metro Campus, Cleveland, Ohio
- District Parking Garage, Cleveland, Ohio
- Health Careers and Technology Building, Highland Hills, Ohio
- Health Technologies Center, Western Campus, Parma, Ohio
- Hospitality Management Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Humanities Center, Highland Hills, Ohio
- Metro Campus Plaza Renovations, Cleveland, Ohio
- Metro Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Metro Health Campus Demolition and Remediation, Highland Hills, Ohio
- Public Safety Training Center, Western Campus, Parma, Ohio
- Student Services Center and Natatorium Addition, Highland Hills, Ohio
- Western Campus Phased Roof Replacement, Parma, Ohio
- Western Campus Soil Remediation, Parma, Ohio
- Westshore Campus Phase I, Westlake, Ohio
- Westshore Wetland Remediation and Stream Improvements, Westlake, Ohio
- College-Wide House Bill 7 Energy Efficiency Improvements, Multiple Locations, Ohio
- College-Wide Parking Improvements, Multiple Locations, Ohio
- College-Wide Fire Alarm System Upgrade, Multiple Locations, Ohio
Cleveland State University – As Staff Architect/Project Manager:
- College of Education Building (Design Phase), Cleveland, Ohio
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Addition, Cleveland, Ohio
- Recreation Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Main Classroom Lecture Hall Renovation, Cleveland, Ohio
- Multiple office and classroom renovation projects
As Project Architect:
- Western Campus Technical Learning Center, Cuyahoga Community College, Parma, Ohio
- Warrensville High School Gymnasium, Natatorium and Science Classroom Addition, Warrensville, Ohio
- St. John West Shore Hospital Heart Center, Westlake, OhioNCB Project Services Center, Strongsville Ohio
- Intermodal Transit Terminal, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
- Multiple amusement park rides and other attractions for Six Flags, Geauga, Ohio
- Multiple medical renovations including Hydro Therapy, Oncology, Pharmacy, Adult Outpatient Psychiatry, Skilled Nursing
Doug has given presentations on many topics, including BIM, Project Close-Out, Managing Chaos and CMR Selection.
- Project Leadership Award, Construction Owners Association of America, 2012
- Cuyahoga Community College’s first GMP project
- Cuyahoga Community College’s first LEED Gold project