Robyn Minter Smyers
Robyn Minter Smyers has extensive experience with real estate, development and construction projects. Robyn advises real estate investment trusts (REITs), real estate investment funds, public and private real estate development companies, governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations on complex projects, including ground-up development deals. Her practice has a particular focus on mixed-use developments, urban redevelopment projects, manufacturing plant developments, distribution centers, hospitality projects and public-private-partnership (P3) transactions. She also counsels clients on community benefits agreements, inclusion strategies relating to minority, women and small business enterprises and real estate portfolio management.
Robyn is a frequent lecturer on real estate and development topics, diversity and inclusion strategies and women’s leadership. She is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and the International Council of Shopping Centers and active in civic affairs.
- Negotiating a hotel management agreement for convention center hotel.
- Advising a nonprofit developer on real estate and utilities matters in connection with the redevelopment of Cleveland’s Public Square.
- Representing a municipality in connection with a mixed use development district, including the negotiation of a purchase and development and use agreement with a private developer.
- Advising a municipality in connection with the development of a community recreation center, including drafting of zoning ordinance revisions.
- Representing an NYSE-listed real estate company in the ground-up development of a community shopping center, including negotiating site development agreements with multiple national retailers and drafting development agreements with a municipality regarding tax increment financing.
- Honored as the Black Professional of the Year by the Black Professionals Association Charitable Foundation, 2018
- Selected as an Acritas Star, a “client-nominated, stand-out lawyer”
- Named to the 2018 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America list
- Listed in Savoy magazine’s “Most Influential Black Lawyers,” 2015 and 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, Ohio, 2015-2019
- Recognized as a Woman of Achievement by the YWCA of Greater Cleveland, 2016
- Listed in “The Power 100 – Northeast Ohio’s Most Influential CEOs, Politicians & Civic Leaders,” Community Leader magazine
- Received the Del de Windt Leadership Award for Civic Engagement, The First Tee of Cleveland, December 2015
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Business "Women of Note," 2015
- Included in the Inside Business "2014 Power 100 List" of the 100 individuals who most influence Northeast Ohio's economy
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Business "Who to Watch in Law," 2014
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2019
- Listed in Legal 500 in Real Estate, 2014-2019
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2013, 2016 to 2021
- Honored with the Ohio Leadership Excellence Award from the National Diversity Council, 2013
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2007 and 2009
- Received a Woman of Professional Excellence Award from the YWCA of Greater Cleveland, 2006
- Selected as a member of the Kaleidoscope Magazine 40/40 Club, Class of 2003